80 Amp Smart Relay (4 Channel)
80 Amp Smart Relay (4 Channel)
Smart Relay Instructions
Discover a new level of output control for your Holley Terminator X/Max, Dominator or HP ECU with the Swap Smart Smart Relay module. This innovative device allows seamlessly integration and intelligent control of high-current electrical devices without any of the wiring complexities found when using conventional relays.
Discover the Benefits:
- Ditch the traditional wiring hassle and leverage the power of CAN BUS allowing you to to control multiple output channels.
- Each Smart Relay supports 2 user selectable CAN ID's allowing you to easily setup and use multiple relay modules.
- The Smart Relay does NOT require using a wired ECU Output channel, it is controlled entirely over CAN BUS.
- The Smart Relay Module was built to hold up to harsh under hood conditions, the Smart Relay is fully potted and each channel is protected from overloading by a low-profile J-Case style fuse.
The 80 amp Smart Relay features four channels each rated for up to 20 amps and makes this device ideal for controlling virtually any type of low to medium current devices.
NOTE: This device uses a sealed, non-serviceable mechanical relays. This device can not be used for PWM or anything that requires fast, receptive cycling such as a trans brake or a line lock.
This relay module uses a standard ATM style mini fuse and due to the number of potential fuse ratings and the easy of purchasing this type of fuse we do not offer a choice for the size of the fuses the module will come with. This Smart Relay will come with (2) 20 amp fuses and (2) 15 amp fuses, you can easily purchase other size fuses from your local parts store.
Recommended INPUT Wire Size
- When Total Module Fusing is 70 to 80 amps - 4 gauge wire
- When Total Module Fusing is 50 to 70 amps - 6 gauge wire
- When Total Module Fusing is 35 to 50 amps - 8 gauge wire
- When Total Module Fusing is 20 to 35 amps - 10 gauge wire
Recommended OUTPUT Wire Size
- 20 Amp fuse - 10 gauge wire
- 15 Amp fuse - 12 gauge wire
- 10 Amp fuse - 14 gauge wire
- 5 Amp fuse - 16 gauge wire
Wiring Harness Options:
DIY Connector Kit - this is the default option and includes the Smart Relay's 8 pin connector and the required terminals. The connector will accept 20 or 22 gauge TXL wire and the terminals are easily crimped with a tool such as the IWISS IWS-2820M.
Holley T-Harness - This harness provides a simple method for connecting your Smart Relay to your ECU with very little work. The T-Harness plugs into your ECU's CAN connector and provides a pass-though CAN connector to allow plugging in other CAN based devices with out needing a CAN Y splitter. There is also a single ground wire that must be connected. The ground can be connected to your vehicles battery or it can simply be chassis grounded if it's more convenient.
- Flying Lead Harness - This is the recommended option if you have replaced the factory CAN connector on your ECU with a different type of connector OR if you plan to use 2(or more) Smart Relays. This harness includes the Smart Relays 8 pin connector that has been pre-terminated with approximately 6 feet of wire and each wire is clearly labeled on printed heat shrink tubing near the connector so the wires can be cut to length with out loosing the label. This harness allows you easily wire multiple Smart Relays together and will allow you to easily construct the perfect length harness for your vehicle.
Smart Relay Studs:
- Battery Post Stud: 8mm x 1.0 - 10mm of usable length
- Relay 1 Output Stud: 6mm x 1.0 - 12mm of usable length
- Relay 2 Output Stud: 6mm x 1.0 - 12mm of usable length
- Relay 3 Output Stud: 6mm x 1.0 - 12mm of usable length
- Relay 4 Output Stud: 6mm x 1.0 - 12mm of usable length
Choose the perfect fit for your project!
The Smart Relay comes in several configurations
60 Amp 1 Channel - Single 60 amp channel
- 80 Amp 2 Channel - Dual 40 amp channels
- 80 Amp Quad Channel - 4 20 amp channels
Take control of your electrical system with the intelligence of a Smarter Relay today!
- This device is not intended for use with ground switched devices
- Holley Terminator X/ X Max requires firmware version 2.8 or higher
- Holley Dominator/HP requires firmware version 6 or higher
- 1 Channel relay supports CAN ID's 110 & 111
- 2 Channel relay supports CAN ID's 120 & 121
- 4 Channel relay supports CAN ID's 140 & 141
All Swap Smart Smart Relays come with a 90 day warranty against manufacturing defects. This warranty does not cover any type of cosmetic defects/discoloration or any damage caused by an over current condition.
The rating of a fuse does not mean it will "blow" at the exact amperage the fuse is rated for, fuses are rated based on the amount of current a fuse is capable of holding for a predetermined amount of time. For example, a 25 amp Mini fuse is rated to hold 27.5 amps for at least 1 hour, 33.75 amps for .75 seconds or 50 amps for .15 seconds. Repeatedly subjecting the Smart Relay to these types of over current conditions will be considered abuse. If you would like to view the current ratings for this type of fuses you may do so HERE